How Your Loved Ones Can Benefit from Occupational Therapy
It’s always a heartbreaking scene when you witness a friend or family member struggle to accomplish even the simplest tasks. Sadly, these are among the things that happen when one is old, disabled, or recovering from an injury or illness. Road to Recovery Physical and Occupational Therapy, a renowned provider of Occupational Therapy in Brooklyn, New York, strives to deliver therapy services that are tailored around the needs of our patients.
What does an occupational therapy focus on? Occupational therapy entails the therapeutic use of everyday routines and activities. It is performed by a skilled health professional known as an occupational therapist who can help improve and maximize patient function and performance to help them live their lives to the best of their abilities.
How does occupational therapy benefit older adults and seniors? Aging concerns only become worse as we grow older, which is the reason why occupational therapy can offer an even bigger advantage to the aging population. Plenty of the physical and mobility challenges seniors face can be addressed by an occupational therapist including:
- Modifies ways to engage in everyday living activities. Permanent functional limitations can happen, and when they do, an occupational therapist can recommend assistive devices or adaptive equipment which can help slow down functional decline, provides safety, and helps patients engage in activities of daily living on their own.
- Improves physical function. Occupational therapists can prove to be crucial in the development of care plans for the physically or functionally disabled, frail older adults, as well as seniors with chronic health conditions.
- Driving safety. It’s normal for people with disabilities to still want to drive themselves to doctors’ appointments, meet-ups with friends, or other important engagements. Occupational therapists can help improve driving knowledge and skills to enhance safety and protection on the road.
- Help with exercises. When it comes to exercises involving functional activities, don’t hesitate to call an expert on occupational therapy and physical therapy in Far Rockway. They help improve a patient’s mobility with specialized training methods and exercises that focus on strength and resistance.
- Devising the ideal health plan. Health plans for seniors and disabled individuals should include a specialist-approved physical activity regimen, cognitive exercises, and social stimulation to help prevent social isolation, which can potentially lead to depression and other mental health problems.
If there is someone in your life suffering from multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s disease, or recovering from a stroke, don’t hesitate to take advantage of the specialized therapy services provided by occupational therapists from Road to Recovery Physical and Occupational Therapy.
The road to recovery can be long and arduous, but our experts are committed to helping you through every step of the way. We do our best to understand your needs, developing treatment plans that focus on your health and recovery goals.
We would love for you to meet our team of dedicated professionals today.